Hide login

Alert: What’s New For The 2014 Tax Season

As you continue to work on tax returns involving nonqualified deferred compensation, here’s a quick take on some new developments to be aware of.

  • High-income taxpayers have increased tax rates on ordinary income, capital gains, and dividends, along with the return of phaseouts on personal exemptions and itemized deductions (see our FAQ on the American Taxpayer Relief Act).
  • The IRS has still not finalized the Section 409A rules on W-2 reporting. Therefore, income deferred during the year is not required to be indicated on your Form W-2, though your company may do so voluntarily in Box 14. (Once the IRS has finalized the 409A rules on W-2 reporting, income deferred during the year will have to be indicated with Code Y in Box 12.) Distributions from plans usually appear in the W-2 boxes used for wages and other compensation, along with Box 11 for nonqualified plans (see the related FAQ). Distributed amounts are reported on your tax return like any other compensation income: on Line 7 (Wages, Salary) of IRS Form 1040.
  • The IRS has introduced two tax-return forms for the increases in Medicare tax stemming from the Affordable Care Act: the additional tax on compensation income (IRS Form 8959) and the surtax on net investment gains (IRS Form 8960). Nonqualified deferred compensation payouts can trigger both of these, while deferrals can keep you under the income thresholds (see the related FAQ).
  • If your plan violates Section 409A and you need to pay a penalty and interest, report this on the line for 60 of your Form 1040, check box c, and enter the amount with the code NQDC. The income that is subject to this additional tax will also appear on your Form W-2 or 1099-MISC.
  • Same-sex couples who were married in a state that legally recognizes their marriage now must file tax returns under their married status (whether married filing jointly or married filing separately). This could result in a greater amount of tax than would be incurred by the two single filings that these taxpayers had to make in past years. For more about the impact of the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage decision on nonqualified plans, see the related FAQ.
  • The alternative minimum tax (AMT) income exemption amounts, the point where the AMT exemption phaseout starts, and the threshold for the higher AMT rate have all been indexed for inflation. Nonqualified deferred compensation itself is not an AMT preference item. However, deferrals of income can serve to prevent you from triggering the AMT in a tax year; conversely, income you receive in a distribution can trigger the AMT.

If you need to file an extension to complete your tax return after the IRS deadline, see the related FAQ on mistakes to avoid.

Did you sell shares acquired from equity compensation during the tax year? See myStockOptions.com for the related changes in tax-return reporting.

Licensing And Premium Memberships

To learn about our corporate services, see the About Us and Licensing sections of myNQDC.com. Please contact us (617-734-1979, info@mystockoptions.com) to obtain more information about licensing content for your website, print materials, and/or newsletters, and for premium memberships at special bulk rates for your staff.